Kalbi Chicken Tacos with Red Onion Salsa
- Combine soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice, garlic, chillies, sesame oil, curry paste, Kaffir lime leaves, and green onions to form the marinade.
- Submerge chicken pieces in the marinade and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
- Heat corn or canola oil in a deep pot until approximately 335˚F. Test by adding a small piece of wonton to see if it sizzles.
- Holding a wonton with 2 tongs, bend into taco shape and hold while submerging in oil. Fry until crisp. Repeat with remaining 7 wontons. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Remove 3/4 cups of the marinade from chicken and bring to gentle boil.
- Stir corn starch into small amount of cold water and whisk into hot marinade. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade pat dry with paper towels. Discard marinade.
- Grill pieces in moderately hot grill pan or a barbeque.
- Allow chicken to cool slightly and shred into pieces.
- To assemble tacos, line a wonton taco with a butter lettuce leaf, warm grilled chicken, a drizzle of marinade sauce, cilantro sprints, and 1 tbsp of red onion salsa.
- Red Onion Salsa: Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until needed.
2 cups soy sauce
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 head garlic (halved)
2 Thai chillies, sliced
1/2 cup sesame oil
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
4 Kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
5 green onions
1 fryer chicken, quartered
34 oz corn or canola oil
8 round wonton wrappers
2 tbsp corn starch
1 head butter lettuce
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 cup red onion salsa
Red Onion Salsa:
1 cup red onion, finely diced
3 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
1 small red pepper, finely diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp green onions, finely sliced
1 lime for lime juice
3 Thai chillies, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil